< Blog Home
Exporting chapter markers to DVD Studio Pro
I am constantly seeing posts on Apple's support boards by people who can't get this to work. This seems to be a common problem so I'm going to give a step-by-step workflow followed by troubleshooting tips at the end.
1. In the Final Cut Pro timeline, navigate to the point you wish to place the marker, press M
once to place a regular marker and then press M
again to open up the Edit Marker dialog.
Make sure that you are adding the markers to the sequence itself and not to an individual clip. There are some rules though - Don't place one within 1 second of the beginning, don't place one within 1 second of the end and don't place them less than 1 second apart.
2. Click the button marked Add Chapter Marker and it will automatically insert some text into the box. Do not change this text; just click Ok.
Repeat for every marker.
3. Go to File > Export > QuickTime Movie
. Do not export as QuickTime Conversion. Under the Markers drop-down, select DVD Studio Pro Markers
Or Go to File > Export > Using Compressor
. This will not display a dialog box but you will be able to see markers on the timeline in the Preview window.
4. Export the file.
5. Open up DVD Studio Pro and drag the exported file onto a track.
In the timeline, drag the edge of the horizontal scroll bar to decrease the size of the timeline and see everything at once. You should be able to see all of your chapter markers.
6. Go to Simulate and double-check that they work.Troubleshooting
Let me know if you can think of any more troubleshooting tips.